Thursday, July 12, 2007

Camp Reunion

The Road Show has been on the road!
If you ever went to camp, you will know how nostalgic you can get for those summer days by the lake. If you never went to camp, you will think people are slightly crazy....The radio show This American Life did an episode about camp that was rebroadcast recently. You can check it out here


Anyway, my camp (Camp Northland for Girls) was in northern Minnesota outside of Ely, the gateway to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. It was on the North Arm of Lake Burntside. It was started in the late '40s by a couple of teachers, and was run by them and their son until 1980. The property was subsequently bought by the YMCA of St. Paul, MN and added to their existing family camp. So, over the years, we Camp Northland girls have returned at various times to relive our childhoods. We have slept in the original cabins, used the outhouses and saunas, swam in the lake and taken out canoes and sailboats.

Thanks to the internet, we have found over 75 people who attended camp as campers and /or counselors and this reunion (6/30/07-7/7/07) proved to draw the most people to date.

The YMCA has expanded their property and built some nice log cabins with amenities about a mile from the original camp. As we are all getting older and need more creature comforts, we opted for the nicer digs. We could still do all our old camp activities and some new ones, too.

I really enjoyed the chance to connect with childhood friends, both from camp and my elementary school years. It was as much fun to find out what these people are doing now as to remember activities and canoe trips with them.

Many people brought their Memory Books and we spent hours looking at all the kids over the years and trying to remember everyone in our cabins. We shared secrets that had never been told (kids who snuck over to the boys' camp down the lake, took food from the kitchens, things like that) and learned lots about the history of the camp and what led to its closing.





Of course, I had great new experiences this trip. I got to go sailing, which I really liked but never did much as a camper. I canoed and hiked and got 2 tours of the bigger part of Lake Burntside. I was in a car that ran out of gas and a boat that almost ran out of gas.













I reconnected with the people and the lake and the woods.



And now for a camp song!

Tall girls, short girls, fat and thin,
Whatcha gonna do when the heat sets in?
Nothin' to do, nothin' to say,
That's the time to pack your bags and go away:
Come to Camp Northland where the breezes blow,
Come to Camp Northland where you swim and row;
Answer the ever luring call:
Camp Northland girls, the best of all!
Boom dadi yada, Some Girls!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molly, you're a good narrator. You are using your museum docent skills to artfully paint a beautiful picture of our beautiful reunion. Thanks for all your contributions. Fun to see you again, too.

Lynn Wilke Bolanowski

Lori Aronson Ratner said...

OMG - You have made my day, my week, my month, etc! I recently decided to start looking for other campers from Northland and a google search brought me to your page. WHAT GREAT LUCK! I had completely forgotten the words to the camp song - your posting of the lyrics blew my mind! I have the best memories of Camp Northland (1978-1981 when Nick "the traitor" sold the camp). I'd love to hear more from you and find other campers! Thanks for this awesome page!! Lori Aronson Ratner

Anonymous said...

hello -
I am trying to compile some historical information about Camp Northland. I am a long time camper of YMCA Camp duNord (34 yrs) and as we approach our 50th anniversary, I think it is important to include information about what happened at Camp Northland before the YMCA owned it. :) If you would be interested in sharing some information with me, please contact me at winter_green72@hotmail.com.
Thank you. Katie

Unknown said...

Omg!!!..i went to this camp when i was 10 years old..it was 1980 and it was probably one of the best times of my life..i actually have a mini photo album they either gave me or mailed it..not too sure..but ive wanted to thank Camp Northland for the wonderful experience i was given..

Unknown said...

Crap..didnt even leave my name..lol..sorry
Laura Rogers from Victoria, Tx
Email:laura_77901@yahoo.com
If anyone is interested in seeing the mini album that i have, i can scan it and send it thru email

Vinaigrette girl said...

Camp Northland girl here! 1968, 69, & 71 IIRC. I was just searching for a lush dessert recipe they had... Wonderful place: porcupines in the dunny, bears on the bell, and the sauna!! kjkaye at g mail dot com here. Great blogpost :-)

Vinaigrette girl said...

Camp Northland girl here! 1968, 69, & 71 IIRC. I was just searching for a lush dessert recipe they had... Wonderful place: porcupines in the dunny, bears on the bell, and the sauna!! kjkaye at g mail dot com here. Great blogpost :-)

Anonymous said...

I was a horseback riding instructor and cabin counselor in the summer of '74. What a great memory!!

Anonymous said...

I went to Camp Northland in 1951 and ‘52. Wonderful experience. I lived Sr cabin 3 and was from Winnetka, IL. Still sing the camp song with my sister Ellen.
Toni Persons Channer