Saturday, September 04, 2010

Pre-Travel Spending-It’s More Than I Thought

So I’m getting ready to leave on a 3-week trip and I realized that I’m spending a lot of money just getting ready to go on the trip. We usually have a “travel budget” and we figure out transportation, hotel, car rental, food, activities, tour costs. But do we put into that budget what it takes for us to get ready to go on the trip?

My list of pre-travel purchases is below. Is it out of line for a long trip?

I headed to the grocery store to get a few boxes of granola bars and packed 4. I also got gum and chewy candies.

I bought some new clothes- a dress, pants, a jacket, shoes. Everything but the shoes needed alterations at the tailor shop.

I bought an international SIM Card for an old Nokia cell phone we had. But then I had to pay for the cell phone to be unlocked and for repairs to the charging port. I also bought a voucher for more talk time on the SIM card. I also bought the smallest international data roaming plan from AT&T, just in case I have to use my iPhone data. I already have international calling and roaming plans on my phone.

I bought a couple of books for my Kindle. I am not actually taking the Kindle reader this trip, but will be reading the books off of my iPhone.

I bought a new suitcase. 25 jn. Cloudstream by Eagle Creek. Lightweight but hopefully sturdy.

I bought a  10.1 “ netbook computer. And a case for it.

Of course, the last 2 will be used on many trips to come, but this particular trip was the impetus for the purchases.

I have read a lot of articles about vacation planning and budgeting , but never one about all the money we spend before we even get out of the driveway.

IMG_2296  Carry-on contents-not including jacket

Keep watching this space for trip updates and product reviews!

3 comments:

M. J. said...

I suggest a smaller suitcase. Then you wouldn't have room for all that stuff, candy, etc -- and wouldn't spend money on it.

Here's what I've spent for my upcoming trip:
Microfleece pants from EMS $45
Map of Liverpool from Amazon $2.18

I might buy another pair of Smartwool hiking sock. That's it.

Laurie said...

Good point, Mozza!

Speaking of which, we need to head to Indro Shopping Centre tomorrow to look at red-coloured beach cover-ups. :)

I am anti 'packing-nazi' - I'd much rather have everything I need than try to pack the teeniest tiniest bag. Especially when travelling in style... as we always do!

McPhillips Family said...

I have a set of the same old, same old travel clothes and have been packing sausage-roll-style since seeing that article in the NYTimes! Can't WAIT to go to Australia...on our list, for sure. Hawai'i knocked us for a loop, time-wise. Will have to factor that in for an Australian sojourn...Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!