Sunday, February 01, 2009

Pre-Flights Check-In

So, it was a long day getting everything ready to leave for Australia (or Oz, as some people call it!). I was pretty much packed by 7:00 pm. DH didn't start packing until 10pm.
No comment there...

Many odds and ends to tie up: bills to pay, fridge to empty, papers to organize, and pack, pack, pack! I'm worried our suitcases are overweight; we shifted some things around. I took out a big bag of Jolly Ranchers for DD-don't worry, I left one bag in...and a couple of shirts.
Am bringing some small gifts to our Aussie in-laws in Tasmania, couldn't leave those out!

Packing clothing for cool weather and hot weather, mostly casual. Thanks to my fashion advisors (you know who you are) for help with the shoe dilemma. Keeping it down to 3 packed, one wearing, although I will miss my Merrells for the duration.

I'm using packing cubes, which helps keep stuff organized. DH won't use them, he thinks they just take up more room. I would much rather have TSA handling the packing cubes than lots of individual garments, if you get my drift.... My new Eagle Creek Tarmac has compartments on the lid which will hold packing cubes or odds and ends. I think those will be very helpful.

In the photo you can see the compartments on the left with the zip covers rolled back. The right is the deep part of the suitcase with my cubes and toilet kit.

I'm also taking a shoulder bag and tote bag (both from ebags.com). Sorry, no pics on them as yet.
For reading material I'm going electronic: I downloaded 2 audiobooks to DH's Nano (Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri and Inkheart by Cornelia Funke) and am taking the Amazon Kindle onto which I've downloaded an audiobook (The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly) and an electronic book (The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult). These last 2 are for the Last Tuesday Book Club. We'll see how they work.....

I did make the rubber band clothesline suggested by my buddy TFOP! http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Rubber-Band-Travel-Clothesline-for-Less-T/
I will post a photo when/if it gets used! My rubber bands are pretty small. It may not hold much!

Hope to post more photos and updates early next week. This time tomorrow, we'll be over the Pacific!

1 comment:

M. J. said...

Glad you offloaded the candy. (Remember when I wouldn't let you bring bags of it home from England?) I can't wait to see pix of your clothesline. Have a great trip, and beware of the locusts, fires and extreme heat.