Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Cell Phone Woes- Part 2

Well, Sunday I went to the phone store to see what they could do for me. I told them the phone got a little wet and the battery seemed to be shorted out. A replacement battery was put in, and the phone did turn on! A ray of light! But it didn't really work. I was able to sign up for an insurance plan ($4.99/mo.) which allows a phone to be replaced. I did get some rice and put the phone in the bowl, thinking it couldn't hurt. But I think the new battery also shorted out and the phone didn't turn on again.

Back to the phone store Monday to see about replacing the phone. They don't do insurance replacements at the stores any more (once again, consumers are inconvenienced and receive fewer services while paying higher prices) but I got the phone number to call.

Tuesday morning called the insurance company (which I'm sure is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T) and after keying in many numbers, got a live person who asked me for all those same numbers again. I can get a replacement phone, factory refurbished (not new) but my model is on back order and may take 10 days to get here. And I have to pay a mandatory $50 deductible-automatically added to my phone bill. Today. And I have to mail the damaged phone and battery back. 10 days without a phone? That doesn't sound very convenient....

Did I ask at the store about loaner phones? Hmmmm. Didn't know that was a possibility....

Stay tuned for Part 3.

No comments: