Thursday, May 31, 2007

What I'm Reading-Spring 2007

The Last Tuesday Book Club is finishing up its third year! Thanks to all those who have been faithful members and readers! Also thanks to the sometimes-readers and occasional attendees. The more opinions the merrier!~
Beyond the LTBC I've read some interesting books: Beach Road by James Patterson-murder mystery, fairly entertaining, but nothing great. Really enjoyed The Gates of the Alamo by Stephen Harrington. Anyone in Texas and especially South Texas who thinks they know all about it will learn something new about the siege of the Alamo. It's very readable and has great characters. Also liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See-a tale of Chinese women and their tribulations. Didn't like White Ghost Girls by Alice Greenway as much-it's written as a haunting memoir but it's a downer of a book.
One book we had put on the LTBC list but I think we're removing is Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It's the imagined life of the Wicked Witch of the West-from birth to death. It's all about the politics and religion of Oz and all its weird inhabitants before Dorothy Gale from Kansas arrives. It's not a happy-go-lucky story at all-after all, we all know what happens to the WWW at the end....but if you want to know one person's idea of how the WWW got to that end, this is a richly imagined tale. I have also read his Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and his writing definitely takes you to faraway times and places.
While I was laid up with the broken wrist, I read my first Carl Hiassen book:Skinny Dip. Can't wait to read another one. Why wait? I just bought 2 Donna Leon ppbs that I haven't read before--will report when completed.
Happy reading!

2 comments:

M. J. said...

Can I borrow the Donna Leons when you're done with them?

Laurie said...

Wicked was totally weird, but I kinda liked the Ugly Stepsister one.