Friday, December 15, 2006

Spirit Incentives Breaks My Spirit

Be Prepared-this is long. But it is not a rant.

DH and I went on a time share tour last spring. We didn’t buy a time share, but “won” two certificates for free travel. I was really excited-one certificate was for travel to a choice of hotels in exotic places. The certificates are good for one year. The one that caught my eye was “Royal Lahaina Hotel, Kaanapali, Maui, Hawaii.” I read the directions, even the fine print. I sent in the certificate with chosen dates for possible travel.

About 2 months later I got a letter that said “Your first chosen travel date is unavailable, should we continue with your 2nd chosen date?” I returned the card “Yes”. About 2 months later I get the same card. I chose 2 more dates. Second letter comes back the same-“should we proceed with your next date?” I return the “yes” reply.

Then in November I get a letter that says I need to pay $140 in taxes. I’m excited. I call up the Customer Service line (NOT a toll-free number). “Are you processing my Jan. 9 travel date?” I ask. They reply, “Yes, your next date is Jan. 9 and when we have your taxes we will have a reservation agent call you to finalize reservations.” I’m starting to research airfares to Maui; I look on my calendar and think about what I’ll have to rearrange to make this trip.

Then I call the customer service no. back a week later to see if they received my $$. They had, and they gave me the toll-free “reservations” number. I call and they have my info and they “start looking at availability” and I’m on hold for many minutes. Finally they come back and say they have “No availability for that date.” What?? I got the taxes letter! I called and they said they were preparing to confirm that date. “Well, if you had sent in the $$ for the taxes earlier, you would have gotten your date.” HUH? How could I have sent the $$ in earlier if I just got the letter 2 weeks ago? “Do you want me to check availability for your next date?” Yes, please. I’m on hold for many more minutes. “No availability for that date either.” What??? How can that be?

After several calls to the reservations number and the customer service number and much arguing, it turns out that there is NO availability for Maui for ANY possible travel date from January to April. “We only get limited no. of rooms.” None. And none of the other places listed for travel had any availability either, except for perhaps Jamaica.

There is NOTHING in the information packet that says taxes must be paid BEFORE a reservation can be processed, although it does say that taxes are the responsibility of the traveler. But taxes apparently have to be paid before a reservation is processed. When I point that out about the lack of info in the packet, they have no answer, but no apology and no way to give me what I want. They won’t extend the length of my certificate, even though I didn’t get a letter about taxes until 7 months after I sent in the first reservation request.

I cancelled my certificate and requested a refund. Haven’t seen it yet.
If you Google “Spirit Incentives” you will be directed to websites where people have a lot of bad things to say about this company. Their company website doesn’t have any content, except info as to how companies can buy their travel packages as incentives.

When the time share company called us, we told them that their incentive plan was a rip-off and reflected badly on the time share company for having it.

DH told me this was a rip-off and I thought I could follow the rules and get the benefit. But it didn’t work like that.

Oh well, older and wiser. Be warned.

14 comments:

M. J. said...

You've earned a merit badge for perseverance, even if you didn't get your trip to Hawaii.

Lafe said...

Thank you so much for writing about this. I am getting married in March and one of my relatives got a free condo and was going to give it to me for a wedding gift. I started to research it, and came upon your blog. Thank you so so much. You saved my honeymoon...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I went to a time share presentation and was given the choice of trips. My 1st two request dates were unavailable. I just recieved a request for $140.00 for taxes for the last date. I will not be sending it. Thank God for your message. They should be closed for fraud.

Anonymous said...

this just happened to me.
I didn't lose my money but frustrated all the same.
I have moved a lot in the pass year, so when it came time to arranging my travel dates I call them up to find out that I had to inform them of my dates basically as soon as I won it.
I called them to book my dates about 80days ahead of time, when I called they told me that my certificate had expired.
I was obviously shocked, since I knew it didn't expire for quite some time.

Then to top it off they won't put you through to any sort of a supervisor, and you know they have supervisors.

hmmeckley said...

I too won a free cruise through the sundance co. I had to sit through a hour long presentation, and then get hackled in to buying some trip packages, what a pain, but I did get my free trip coupon. And I folled the instructions, and I agree that it is a run around, but I did get my reservations, for my cruise, not any of the dates that we picked, and not even the same trip, but I figured that hell I went through all this shit, I don't care if they send me to Tim buck tu. Next I gave them a 120.00 a person for taxes and port fees, which I knew that I had too up front. So I hope that everything goes smoothly , But I don't get a warm fuzzy listening to all your bad experiences. Well keep you posted on what happens next.

Anonymous said...

Did any one ever go on a cruise with my spirit travel? I am in the middle of this process and was wondering if I should stop the process. I do not want to lose my money.Please advise.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ever so much..you've saved my husband and I from this entire mess. We recieved 2 "free" vacation packages from spirit travels and we were just going to send the "possible" dates of travel when we decided to check up on the company. Thanks once again!!

hmmeckley said...

Well I finally got all my documentation for my free cruise I got my boarding passes and luggage tags wow, I think that this may happen. Well all arrangements are made, will let you know how it goes. Getting very excited, hope it is not a big let down.

Well just got back, I can’t believe it, Sundance pulled through just like they promised. It was a huge hassle at first, but WOW we had a awesome time. We went on the carnival Destiny and the service was top notch. We Left from Miami and went to Nassau which was so beautiful and the people were so friendly. Then we went to Half Moon Cay which was my favorite. The sand was like silky corn starch and the water was blue as blue could be. Then we went to the Grand Turks, which was also beautiful, Man let me tell you I did not want to come back. All and the food on the ship was A+++++, gained five pounds on that trip. So that was my experience with Sundance. The free trip really wasn’t a free trip, with port fees and plane tickets, but it was still cheaper then forking the whole thing. Even though it was a big hassle Sundance pulled through and kept their promise. Sorry to those who didn’t get what they were promised, I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Heath

hmmeckley said...

Just to clear some things up, the Sundance Co is a travel agency that we went to first, and they tried to sell us trip packages. then we got our coupon for our free trip. Next we went through Spriit Incentives. The sundance co works with Spirit Incentives, fyi

Anonymous said...

We received a package offer from Spirit Incentives and got round trip airfare from Cleveland to Los Angeles and a 3 night Carnival cruise. Our taxes totalled $412.64 for my wife and I. We leave for our second choice of dates January 28th and board the ship the next day. It's well worth that since the cruise alone would have been well over $600. Be patient it does work.

Anonymous said...

I followed the exact instruction given to me. Spirit Incentives did their part by working with me to schedule my cruise,which was marvelous! Thank you for the opportunity, I am grateful.
Diane Kelly

Anonymous said...

I went on a cruise that was put together through Spirit incentives and I was very happy and the customer service was great. I would deffinately use Spirit Incentives again.
M. Hess

Rosenbeans said...

I am happy to hear that some people were able to use their trip certificates from Spirit Incentives. I hope that the company continues to provide what they promise. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

This is old - but I was searching for ways to get a spirit incentives certificate and came across your post.

We went to a Direct Buy presentation in exchange for a 2 night stay at Great Wolf Lodge and a $100 restaurant.com certificate. We have been using restaurant.com since 2007 and knew that certificate was only worth about $8-10 and I googled the GWL offer. The Direct Buy tour was a breeze - we said no, the sales rep smiled and someone came over to give us our gift...we did have to sit through the entire pitch though.

It was a bit of a hassle going through all of the steps but I was very happy. We paid around $120 for 2 weeknights during slow season. We were not able to choose our dates. After sending in our deposit they gave us dates to choose from and I chose days that would work for us. They contacted me 45 days before the first date of travel and I finalized everything over the phone.

I was able to confirm our reservation the next day.

We had no issues when checking in and had a great time. Since the occupancy was only at 12% we felt like we had the entire resort to ourselves. They even had a kids eat free promotion.

I received an offer for 2 free roundtrip airline tickets and 2 nights stay at a Marriott hotel yesterday. I am unsure if it is through Spirit - but if it is I am jumping on it!